Saturday, August 29, 2009

After the white knuckle ride

353 days
284 pounds

Yesterday, the pounding rains began before we even left. They weren't really supposed to come until today. I walked Oliver around 1:30pm and it was drenching. Even after I toweled him off, he was soaked to the bone.

We got as dry as we could and got in the car at 1:52pm. Arnie had said it would be ideal for us to be past Paterson by 2:30pm but we didn't get there until nearly 3:40pm.

Dinner at last
Robin and I and Alex had probably driven past the PowerHouse Eatery in White Haven, PA about 50 times but never stopped there until last night. Matt, Susan, Larry, Ann and Kegan were there well ahead of us, by about a half hour. They sat politely without eating or drinking a thing until we arrived.

After eating a yogurt for lunch, we stopped in Hibernia and I had a hot chocolate and a brownie. That was it until dinner.

Dinner was quite good. For an appetizer, I had scallops wrapped in bacon. Three nice size scallops and one runt. All delicious. My main course was "seared salmon," a piece a little larger than my thumb, in some creamy sauce surrounded by sweet potato gnocchi. For dessert, Robin and I shared a piece of orange creamsicle cheesecake and I had a cup of coffee. And then it was white knuckle ride time.

Good game, bad weather
We were able to hear the Yankee-White Sox game all the way home. Driving in the rain often makes me sleepy. It starts like dizziness. The game kept us going for most of the trip, though I did keep having to shake my head to stay awake.

Finally, after the Cross Bronx and before the Throgs Neck Bridge, I couldn't handle it any longer and pulled over. Robin took over and the next thing I knew, I was waking up, walking Oliver in the rain.

I came in the kitchen and had a few chips, a handful of kettle corn, a few chunks of watermelon, got undressed and crashed.

This morning...
It's Saturday. At some point, we're going to help Jaime move from one apartment to another in Manhattan. It's going to rain like crazy from Tropical Storm Danny. And I'm supposed to release a new version of Helix on Monday. Somehow it'll all come together. I overslept for about five minutes and then, at 6:35am, up I got, and into the routine.

After that, it was a half Ezekiel muffin with Nutella and coffee for breakfast.

For lunch, I had yogurt and snacked on fruit most of the day until we finally took Jaime and Dean to the city to help them move into their new apartment. Afterward, we took them for a wonderful dinner at Mon Petit Café.

No comments:

Post a Comment