Friday, August 21, 2009

I'm betting on dinner (and the peanuts)

361 days
287 pounds

Mystery of mysteries; the human body is just unpredictable. Got up, very achy in my lower back, but I stuck to the plan, did my stretches, walked my dog, did my exercises and 20 minutes on the treadmill, came upstairs and found myself much sweatier than I've been all week and terrifyingly without the need to use the bathroom. So I drank a little coffee, which usually does the trick.

And it did. After the various personal hygiene issues were attended to, I stepped, with great trepidation, on the scale, sure I would have actually gained a bit, possibly a large bit.

To my great relief, the losing continued, if only by a mere 1/2 pound. "I'll take it!" I whispered to myself, then tried to determine whether it was breakfast or dinner that did me in. The bacon, egg and swiss cheese sandwich on the kaiser roll is no slouch in the grease-and-fat department, but it was a great deal more enjoyable than dinner. Dinner, for those who skipped last night's post, was fried and barbequed chicken, french fries ("steak fries," which Oliver, our English Springer Spaniel, also enjoyed quite well), cole slaw, health salad, creamed spinach and some red jellied fruity mess, the name of which escapes me.

Why I'm betting on dinner...
First of all, eating in the presence of my in-laws, who I do love dearly, makes me eat too fast, especially in the summer. That's because my 87-year old father-in-law is at a point in his life (that my own father passed through) where an 88ºF day is simply too cold for him. I beg him to wear a sweat suit or something but he keeps coming over in shorts. So I rush through my food to be done and get out of the room where I am sweltering for his benefit. Rushing through your food—in case you didn't know—prevents you from knowing when you're full. I ate way too much fried chicken. I did lay off most of the side stuff (except the creamed spinach), and I had my own wonderful salad. My beverage was an iced green tea.

After all of that, when I returned to the table after my chore (washing the dishes), the table was clear except for a bag of peanuts from Yankee Stadium.

I didn't ask why it was there. It didn't matter to me that it had been sitting in one of my wife's bags since the game we attended on July 3rd. All that mattered that while my mother-in-law was going on and on and on about money, family relations and other stuff that was basically none of her business, and my deaf-as-a-stump father-in-law ran off a series of "what-did-you-say"s, I devoured about half of those peanuts without even realizing it, finally stopping when she interrupted her tirade long enough to ask me, "After all that good food, why are you eating peanuts?"

A little voice inside my head said "Because the sound of my chewing drowns out the sound of your chewing us out." But I wisely passed on allowing that one to cross my lips. As I said earlier, I do love them. They just get on my nerves.

So anyway, I'm betting on dinner (and the peanuts) as the culprit for the first short weight loss of the first week of this journey of a thousand miles. Tomorrow will surely be better.

Today's menu is...
Oatmeal with cinnamon and honey for breakfast. Yogurt (most likely watermelon flavored) and Cool Whip for lunch. Barbecued Kobe beef burgers (only one, instead of my customary two plus whatever my wife doesn't finish), and the "main event," the Yankees and Red Sox in Fenway on the tube. A bag of popcorn sitting on top of the refrigerator could conceivably get opened during that event.

My good buddy Bob, will be joining us. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment