Saturday, August 22, 2009

My first setback is a mercifully small one

360 days
287.5 pounds

Saturday morning. You just want to lay in bed. And I did for about 25 minutes and then, since I was already awake, I started to stretch and flung myself into the routine.

It really makes you feel good about yourself. I even spent an extra seven or eight minutes on the treadmill this morning.

But then came the moment of truth...
And it was disappointing. I had actually gained a half pound. What could it have been? What could have caused this tragedy?

The guacamole looks like the leading suspect. I ate my one burger. It did have a pile of carmelized onions on it (mental note: if we do these burgers again, mine will be with a single slice of raw onion instead, probably a red one). We had chips and salsa. Salsa apparently has no fat. But we also had guacamole and this morning it is revealed to me that this wonderful substance, while made of vegetables, is loaded with fat. So it looks like I may have to pass on that stuff until futher notice. I didn't overdo it with the chips. I tried (and succeeded, I believe) at being conscious of the rate of chip ingestion. But each one had a small pile of the green stuff on it.

We also drank red wine. I probably drank three or four small glasses. Nice buzz. Probably not the best idea. Maybe I'll have to learn to drink only one.

I don't think it was the five or six chunks of watermelon I had for dessert. Though another possible culprit could also be the four small reheated pieces of fried chicken I had with lunch that I forgot to mention yesterday.

Okay. I slipped up. Fortunately, I only had to pay with a half pound. Hopefully, I learn something.

Breakfast was...
...the other half of last Monday's Ezekiel muffin, this time with a small smear of Nutella on it.

About a half hour later, I went outside to meet a friend who was dropping some things off for our Girls Softball League (more about which some other time). We hadn't seen each other in a few months so we leaned against his car and talked. Bill became the first person to actually notice that I had lost weight without me saying something about my attempts to do so.

The humidity level (79%) was high enough to cause me to drip like a faucet just standing there. We talked for almost 45 minutes. If I had been standing naked in a basin, it would have been nearly filled with the liquid that dripped off my body during that conversation. I probably perspired off nearly half that half pound I added yesterday.

Still tempting fate, I turned to the begimalzazeech
After I was that soaking wet, I figured I was gonna be hittin' the showers again anyway so I decided to mow the lawn and really work up a sweat. But the lawn was still too wet to mow from the night before so I figured a good weeding, raking and seeding session would do the trick. And it did. I got a fairly large chore done and when I was hosed off, it was almost noon and thus almost time to eat.

The Morningstar Farms Italian Sausage box in the freezer was still unopened and calling my name. In violation of my calorie counting ban, I read the label. 120. A regular roll? 140. Ketchup and mustard, if I went for the whole tablespoon of each, add another 35. Instead, I just smeared a little of each on the roll for flavor, put the zazeech on the grill and took a shower. I let it cook for nearly 20 minutes (they recommend 4-3/4!). I like my veggies crisp, I guess. And with my breakfast, I've had two very enjoyable eating sessions and I'm holding steady at 380 calories.

It was delicious. So it's a little after noon, I've got plenty of time to work before dinner, and all I've gotta do is pick something enjoyable yet sensible for that meal and the downtrend will continue. I'm thinking about a chef's salad. Could be a winner. But I'll have to wait and see where we end up for dinner. I've heard plans about seeing a movie. With us, that usually means a diner afterward and diners are great sources of chef's salads. And chef's salads, even the big ones, don't get heavily caloric until you start smearing on the dressing. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment