Wednesday, September 2, 2009

So long, Pattie, time for a glass of water

349 days
285 pounds
___________________________________________________________
Objectives
  • Week's End: 282.5 (pounds left: 2.5)
  • Year's End: 193.5 (pounds left: 91.5)
___________________________________________________________
For additional motivation, this morning I decided to add the little block above. I figure it's something beyond just the numbers on the scale that must be confronted to keep me focused on my targets.

This morning's digital electronic revelation was a big improvement on yesterday's, but no definitive indicator of what's going on. I drank a lot more water yesterday than I'd been drinking; that is to say, I drank water yesterday. For much of last week, I sort of overlooked it.

Breakfast
On her way out, Robin informed me that a Kobe burger is on tonight's menu. Mine will be with a slice of red onion this time, instead of sautéd onions; I'll make them for her if she wants them.

For breakfast today, after a good workout and more than 40 minutes on the elliptical barely breaking a sweat (which was weird), I had my customary cup of black coffee but my choice for today was yogurt or cereal. One cereal option I've steered clear of is Wheatena. We love Wheatena around here, but I suspect, for myself at least, that my love of Wheatena has more to do with the butter I melt into it than the taste of the cereal itself. Robin buries hers under a mountain of salt. Each of my kids has their own way of eating it. Ask ten people, you probably get ten different ways they like it.

At 160 calories a serving (that rule is dying hard), each pat of butter being 45 calories of total fat and nothing good for you at all (yes, I'm coming to the awful realization that butter may have to be foregone if I seriously want to lose all this weight), I wondered what I might use instead. After searching online for butter alternatives, none of which appealed to me, I thought of the local favorite at Bagel Boss, something known as a honey-whole-wheat bagel. Hmmm. Honey! So, before hitting the rack last night, I left the honey on the counter with the Wheatena.

The honey added 60 calories, more than the butter, but the lesser of two evils. I don't think I used a full teaspoon of it, and the serving is a tablespoon, but I'm in for 60 either way. Then I sprinkled two tablespoons of Ezekiel Golden Flax on top (for crunchiness). At 180 calories for a 1/2 cup, I'll give myself 40 more calories to bring breakfast to a whopping 260 calories. Add the swig of OJ with my pills and vitamins and I'll round it up to 300. Much more than a yogurt with Cool Whip, but a nice taste change. Now I'll just have to remember the water and keep forging ahead.

Lunch
I went out to mow the lawn earlier, and then drove over to Subway for my habitual Wednesday lunch. I lugged the thing home and began eating it when curiosity got the better of me. How come Subway touts its Veggie Delite but not it's Veggie Pattie?

My first love at Subway was the Veggie Delite. It was crunchy, low calorie and delicious. But it was basically the shell of what I later adopted as my regular Wednesday noon fare: the Veggie Pattie. Sounds healthy, right? It's a glorified veggie burger. When you do the Subway Footlong for $5 deal, and add a bag of Sun Chips (a tiny yet 220 calorie bag), you're staring down the barrel of a 600 calorie gun, and that's without cheese or dressing, both of which are on there. So right there, I'm up over 950 "fer sher" and with breakfast, not doing that great.

Conclusion: next week, I go back to the Veggie Delite, which is much fewer calories and equally delicious and crunchy. And as long as I'm trying to lose weight, I'll either do it as a six-incher or skip the chips. So long, Pattie. It's you or Thursday mornings without my nasty bacon-egg-and-swiss-cheese sandwiches.

Dinner tonight was, as predicted...
...a Kobe beef burger with a slice of Spanish onion and corn (I tried not to use butter but I had to use a pat). But it started off with salad left over from Sunday night. Still worked for me. After I finished cleaning up, I had a very large pluott. It was marvelous.

No comments:

Post a Comment